Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Long Lost Traditions...

For my writer's choice piece I chose the Tradition Blog. i wrote this blog on my family's long forgotten Christmas Eve tradition. This tradition included spending all of Christmas Eve making a feast of different kinds of authentic enchiladas, and then leaving some out for "Santa" over-night. Even after we stopped celebrating Christmas for religious reasons, we kept up this tradition and did it in the summer-time instead. After awhile though, my parents got separated, and the tradition got lost along the way. Although I don't miss Christmas, the family closeness that this tradition gave us is what I truly missed. So while this may not be my strongest or most creative piece of work, I gave it all of the emotion that I have to give. It was one of the few pieces that I wrote, that I felt good about even if others didn't think so. As I was writing this blog, it felt like i was reliving the tradition inside my head like a silent movie. As I was writing "But dad, Santa doesn't like enchiladas and diet coke! He wants cookies and milk!" I remember being five years old and panicking at the thought of upsetting this fictional gift-giver. Including dialogue like that helped make the paper a strong, and emotional part of my work for this quarter. Since it was a piece that I really enjoyed writing, it was easy to make it an accomplished piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment